Beetroot risotto is my all time favourite type or risotto, I could honestly eat truck loads of the stuff and never feel sick or heavy. Usually, most other flavours of risotto I’ve tried, leave me feeling like I’ve stuffed my tummy with stodge after a just small portion but, this is never the case with this ULTIMATE BEETROOT RISOTTO.
The earthy beetroot and tangy balsamic cut through the starchiness of the rice and by roasting the garlic and root veg first you develop a toasty, caramelised sweetness which lightens and compliments the classic cheesy flavour.
(This recipe serves 2 but can easily be doubled etc)
- 3-4 beetroot (about 250-300g) peeled & diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves (skins left on!)
- 1 onion (diced)
- tbsp olive oil
- heaped tsp fresh/dried thyme
- 100ml white wine (can replace with tsp balsamic vinegar)
- 110g risotto rice
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast/ 35g vegan cheese
- big pinch black pepper
- Toss the chopped beetroot and garlic with the balsamic and 2 tsp oil in a baking dish and roast at 225 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through so that the veg cooks evenly.
- In a large pan gently fry the onion in a tbsp. of oil till golden. Add the thyme and rice and stir for a minute. Over a low heat add the wine (or balsamic) and stir gently until the liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Pour in the stock and leave to simmer on the lowest heat for 25 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so. You may need to add a splash more water if the risotto starts to stick to the pan as you near 25 minutes cooking.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, squeeze the roasted garlic out their skins, into the rice and stir through the beets, “cheese” and black pepper. Divide between plates and if liked, garnish with seasonal salad leaves or other green veg!